Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
The Technology (Applied Sciences) section includes Reference Books concerning:
B. Medicine and Health;
B2. Human Anatomy;
B3. Physiology and Personal Health and Safety
B4. Pharmacology and Therapeutics;
B6. Emergency Medicine;
B7. Physical Examination;
B8. Diagnostic Tests;
B9. Psychiatry and Clinical Psychology;
B10. Surgery; and
B11. Obstetrics and Pediatrics;
E. Animal Husbandry;
F. Freshwater Fish;
G. Home and Family Management;
H. Management and Public Relations;
I. Chemical Engineering; and
Inventors and Inventions, v. 1 - 4 by
Call Number: R 609.22 G786 v. 1 - 4
Publication Date: 2009-11-01
This set covers 413 individual inventors from all time, worldwide. All essays were written specifically for this new publication. Included in this set are inventors recognized for shaping modern technology and the way we live today -coverage that is essential in any liberal arts curriculum.
B. Medicine and Health
Medical Dictionary by
Call Number: R 610.3 D71d 2007
Publication Date: 2007-05-18
Dorland's is the most trusted source on the language of medicine for over 100 years. A wealth of illustrations.
1) Over 120,000 entries - including the latest drugs and extensive coverage of complementary and alternative medicine.
2) Know exactly what each term means with definitions that are the richest, most accurate available.
3) Understand concepts visually by viewing more than 1500 extremely helpful illustrations, many in full color.
Magill's Medical Guide, v.1 - 6 by
Call Number: R 610.3 M194s, v.1 - 6
Publication Date: 2010-10-01
Covers diseases, disorders, treatments, procedures, specialties, anatomy, biology, and issues in an A-Z format, with sidebars addressing recent developments in medicine and concise information boxes for all diseases and disorders.
Mosby's Medical Dictionary, 8th Ed. by
Call Number: R 610.3 M89
Publication Date: 2008-12-04
Mosby's Dictionary features definitions plus 2,400 full-color illustrations.
1) Also includes encyclopedic entries to explain more difficult concepts and a 43-page Color Atlas of Human Anatomy.
2) Over 51,000 comprehensive, authoritative, high-quality definitions - including for major diseases, disorders, drugs, and procedures in all areas of nursing, medicine, and health-related professions. 3) Approximately 2,400 color photographs and line drawings.
4) Hundreds of lab test and surgical procedure definitions explain the purpose, procedures, patient care, and expected outcomes.
5) Comprehensive definitions for drugs include indications, contraindications, and adverse effects for safe medication practice.
6) Definitions for more than 50 complementary and alternative medical therapies and over 100 herbs.
7) A color Atlas of Human Anatomy contains 43 pages of clearly labeled drawings for easy A&P review and reference.
Stedman's Medical Dictionary for the Health Professions and Nursing, Ills., 5th Ed. by
Call Number: R 610.3 S81 5th Ed.
Publication Date: 2005-05-01
This popular medical dictionary contains more than 51,000 entries.
1) Includes entries suited for the Nursing field, with correct terminology for all Nursing students and practitioners.
2) All appendices have been reviewed by Australian and New Zealand consultants for market-specific content review.
3) Features include more than 51,000 terms; more than 900 enriched color images, and photographs.
4) Detailed images by Anatomical Chart Company, included in a special glossy insert, enhance the comprehension of anatomical terms.
5) Includes 65 valuable appendices covering 11 sections.
6) New precision-cut thumb tabs enable quick A-to-Z reference. Written pronunciations for every term.
Nursing Diagnosis Handbook by
Call Number: R 610.73 A182
Publication Date: 2003-08-01
This convenient reference is designed to help practicing nurses and nursing students make a nursing diagnosis and write a care plan.
1) Helps nurses correlate nursing diagnoses with known information about clients on the basis of assessment findings, established medical or psychiatric diagnoses, and the current treatment plan.
2) This includes all NANDA-approved nursing diagnoses, further integration of both the NIC and NOC taxonomies, evidence-based nursing interventions, home care, client/family teaching, and multicultural and geriatric considerations.
Skills Performance Checklists, 6th ed. by
Call Number: R 610.73 C43s 6th ed.
Publication Date: 2005-06-22
Designed to accompany Perry and Potter's Clinical Nursing Skills & Techniques, 6th edition, these handy checklists serve as a valuable assessment tool for each skill presented in the textbook.
Clinical Nursing Skills and Techniques by
Call Number: R 610.73 C64p
Publication Date: 2005-06-22
Presents reliable, comprehensive coverage of over 200 complete skills.
1) Heavily illustrated, each skill follows the nursing process framework and is presented in an easy-to-follow, two-column format with rationales for each step.
2) Features as guidelines at the beginning of each chapter, delegation principles for each skill, special considerations for various age groups and care settings, and unexpected outcomes with related nursing interventions.
3) Expanded coverage of cultural and pediatric considerations.
4) Comprehensive coverage of over 200 basic, intermediate, and advanced skills.
5) Over 1,100 color photographs and drawings.
6) Rationales for each step in the skill explain why steps are performed in a specific way.
7) Delegation Principles for each skill discuss the nurse's responsibilities when assigning tasks to assistive personnel.
Comprehensive Review for the NCLEX-RN® Examination by
Call Number: R 610.73 E93h
Publication Date: 2007-12-10
This review is written in an outline format with chapters broken down by clinical areas and concepts emphasized on the NCLEX-RN exam.
1) The companion StudyWare CD offers practice tests with over 500 questions in the same electronic testing format experienced on the nursing school exit exam and on the NCLEX-RN exam.
2) HESI HINT boxes highlight important clinical information and concepts commonly tested on the NCLEX-RN exam.
3) Chapters organized by clinical area make this an easy reference.
4) Chapter review and critical thinking questions ensure you have mastered each chapter before you move to the next.
5) Featured pharmacology tables pinpoint areas emphasized on the NCLEX exam to help prepare you for the test.
Pocket Guide to Cultural Health Assessment by
Call Number: R 610.73 D191
Publication Date: 2003-01-24
For anyone who provides care to patients of different cultural/ethnic backgrounds.
1) Presents practical, concise information that could impact patient and family care.
2) An introduction to people from more than 180 countries is presented alphabetically for easy reference.
3) Information regarding major language, health care beliefs, ethnic or racial specific diseases, and national childhood immunizations is among the valuable data included.
4) Countries are organized alphabetically to provide quick access to important cultural information.
5) National childhood immunization schedules are provided along with the latest information from the World Health Organization to ensure timely and accurate information.
6) Culture data categories are included, such as health care beliefs or health team relationships to assist the reader in developing an individualized patient assessment.
7) Brief descriptions of each country's topography are included with maps to illustrate potential environmental etiologies of an illness.
8) References and related readings are provided to facilitate the search for in-depth information. Information is incorporated about naturalistic healing and practices as they relate to the care of the person within that cultural or ethnic group.
Handbook of Nursing Procedures by
Call Number: R 610.73 H236
Publication Date: 2001-03-13
Handbook of Procedures is a practical, timesaving, one-stop reference to about 300 procedures--all alphabetically arranged.
1) It covers the whole range of nursing procedures, from basic (for example, taking vital signs) to advanced (such as placing a transcranial Doppler monitor).
2) All entries are written in a consistent, clear format that lists equipment, implementation steps, nursing considerations, and more.
3) The book also contains hundreds of illustrations, photos, and tables, along with such special features as "Technology update" and "Troubleshooting."
Lippincott Manual of Nursing Practice by
Call Number: R 610.73 H236
Publication Date: 2009-04-21
The full-color classic reference for essential information on patient care.
1) Easy-to-read outline format, this clinically focused guide covers all disorders and patient problems in medical-surgical, maternal-neonatal, pediatric, and psychiatric nursing, and includes over 150 step-by-step procedures.
2) Each chapter incorporates official guidelines that shape clinical practice, including those from the National Institutes of Health, American Diabetes Association, American Heart Association, American Nurses Association, Joint Commission, AWHONN, and others.
3) Highlights include updated photos and illustrations, updated references at the end of each chapter, a new Drug Therapy icon to spotlight nursing interventions related to drug therapy, expanded coverage of leadership and management, an expanded psychiatric care chapter, and expanded coverage of documentation, especially ensuring security in electronic medical records.
Cracking the NCLEX-RN with Sample Tests by
Call Number: R 610.73 M61c
Publication Date: 2007-02-13
Written and reviewed by a team of clinical nurses and nurse scholars, this guide gives nursing students the tools they need to succeed on the NCLEX-RN exam. Cracking the NCLEX-RN includes targeted and thorough reviews of key topics tested, as well as more than 1,000 practice questions and 8 sample exams on CD-ROM.
Nursing Care Plans by
Publication Date: 2002-10-04
This compilation of care plans for the most commonly encountered clinical problems reflects the practice and professional standards in nursing.
1) Written by practicing nurses for students and/or clinicians, it includes 195 nursing care plans. Focus on evidence-based practice and adult lifespan and healthcare issues.
2) Preformatted care plans for 137 common medical-surgical disorders are included.
3) The components of care plans are explained - the NOC and NIC classifications, creating nursing care plans, how to use critical paths, and how they are linked to care plans and tools for performance improvement.
4) 58 additional nursing diagnosis care plans provide a solid basis for creating customized patient plans of care. Includes expanded home care and community-based care.
5) Synonyms are highlighted below the main care plan, and all commonly known terms for disorders are included in the index.
6) Related to factors, defining characteristics, expected outcomes, ongoing assessment, and therapeutic interventions for independent and collaborative nursing diagnoses are featured in each care plan.
7) Collaborative versus independent interventions are indicated by two distinct icons.
8) Care plans are organized by body system for easy reference.
9) 16 new care plans and two new chapters on health care plans for men's and women's health have been added.
10) Content includes expanded cancer coverage and revised and expanded rationales.
11) Nursing Interventions Classification (NIC) and Nursing Outcomes Classification (NOC) have been added for each nursing/collaborative diagnosis. NANDA Taxonomy II terminology is used throughout with terms listed on the inside back cover.
Comprehensive Review for the NCLEX-RN® Examination by
Call Number: R 610.73 S257
Publication Date: 2007-10-25
Includes content review and over 4,200 NCLEX examination-style questions.
1) All answers include detailed rationales.
2) Organization by nursing content areas.
3) Pyramid Terms define key terms at the beginning of each major unit or chapter.
4) Pyramid Points within each chapter highlight the content that is important in preparing for the NCLEX-RN examination.
5) There are 13 pharmacology chapters, a medication, and intravenous calculation chapter, and a pediatric medication calculation chapter.
6) Over 100 illustrations to enhance important nursing content.
7) There are a total of 4,210 questions.
Fundamentals of Nursing by
Call Number: R 610.73 W68f v.1 - 2
Publication Date: 2015-03-19
Thinking. Doing. Caring. Fundamentals of Nursing, now in its 3rd Edition.
1) Perfect for both concept-based and traditional curriculums, it is the only text designed the way nursing fundamentals is actually taught.
2) Volume 1 covers the theoretical knowledge taught in class.
3) Volume 2 covers the practical knowledge taught in lab.
4) Awarded first place in the 2015 AJN Book of the Year Award & in the Medical-Surgical Nursing category.
5) Awarded second place in the 2015 AJN Book of the Year Award & in the Adult Primary Care category.
Historical Encyclopedia of Nursing by
Call Number: R 610.7309 S673r
Publication Date: 1999-10-25
This unique reference work traces the story of nursing from Roman times to the present, including the evolution of military nursing.
1) The book's numerous biographies of health care pioneers include many first-person narratives and eyewitness accounts, from Mother Teresa to Walt Whitman.
2) A timeline of landmarks in nursing offers a concise overview of the profession, and the book also includes a detailed bibliography and index.
3) Provides a timeline of landmarks, a detailed bibliography, and a comprehensive index.
B3. Human Anatomy
Grant's Atlas of Anatomy by
Call Number: R 611 A847G
Publication Date: 1999-08-01
For over fifty years, Grant's Atlas of Anatomy has been the lab partner of students who appreciate fine artwork, realistic presentation, and concise observations. This Tenth Edition includes increased sizing of many figures, more information on neuroanatomy, and new features such as tables of muscles and an MRI section at the end of each chapter.
Gray's Anatomy by
Call Number: R 611 G779a
Publication Date: 1995-12-25
Includes over 2100 illustrations, coverage of important topics, such as the structure and function of each body system, anatomical aspects of common surgical techniques, cross-sectional imaging, the anatomy encountered during endoscopic surgery, and more.
B4. Physiology and Personal Health and Safety
The Encyclopedia of Vitamins, Minerals, and Supplements by
Call Number: R 612.399 N321
Publication Date: 2004-06-01
The Encyclopedia of Vitamins, Minerals, and Supplements, Second Edition provides a fresh look at vitamins, minerals, and supplements and how they work in the human body.
1) This layperson's guide to the nutritional options and substances that improve health helps readers make informed decisions about maintaining and strengthening their bodies.
2) Containing more than 900 A-to-Z entries.
3) Explains myths surrounding these substances, how they should be used safely, their effect on nutrition, and how they might be used as a treatment for various health issues.
4) Appendices include the food pyramid, a statement from the American Dietetic Association, and other supplementary items.
Handbook of Women's Health by
Call Number: R 613.04244 H236
Publication Date: 2001-11-01
Provides a clear and comprehensive evidence-based primary-care guide to the care of women in ambulatory practice, intended for general and family practitioners, nurses, physicians' assistants, and all who practice primary care of women.
1) It emphasizes preventive care and well-woman care throughout the lifecycle of a woman, including sexuality, contraception, medical care in pregnancy, psychological, and important medical concerns.
2) It stresses the strength of evidence underlying common practices of care of women.
3) It recognizes and pays heed to the cultural, social, and psychological differences that impact women's health.
B5. Pharmacology and Therapeutics
Poisonous and Venomous Marine Animals of the World, 2nd rev. ed. by
Call Number: R 615 H157
Publication Date: 1988-03-01
An exhaustive, authoritative compendium of technical data on toxic marine organisms. Profusely illustrated with photographs, line drawings, and numerous new color plates.
The Merck Index, 13th ed. by
Call Number: R 615.1 M555
Publication Date: 2001-10-15
A one-volume encyclopedia of chemicals, drugs, and biologicals that contains more than 10,000 monographs.
Pediatric Injectable Drugs, 9th ed. by
Call Number: R 615.58 P37p
Publication Date: 2010-05-14
This resource features 220 monographs, each with the following: brand names, safety information, including medication error potential, U.S .boxed warnings and contraindications, infusion-related cautions, age-specific dosing information (including maximum dosages and adjustments in organ dysfunction), additives, suitable diluents, maximum concentration, preparation, and delivery IV push, intermittent infusion, and continuous infusion recommendations, and other routes of administration (including IV and IM guidelines compiled specifically for pediatric patients).
1) Comments by pharmacy professionals in the field.
2) Includes 4,700 entries.
Complete Reflexology for Life by
Call Number: R 615.82 K96c
Publication Date: 2007-09-17
The definitive illustrated reference to reflexology for all ages - from infants to seniors. Help and heal common ailments.
Infectious Diseases and Conditions by
Call Number: R 616 I43h v. 1-3
Publication Date: 2011-10-01
From Salem Health, 3 volumes that provide comprehensive, non-specialist information on an array of topics. Essays discuss prevention, diagnosis, treatment as well as epidemiology, history, and social concerns.
Professional Guide to Diseases, 9th ed. by
Call Number: R 616 P964
Publication Date: 2008-02-19
This resource contains full clinical coverage of more than 600 disorders. This reference presents comprehensive disease information ranging from causes, signs, and symptoms, and diagnosis through treatment and special considerations. Helpful tips and charts, anatomic drawings, and other illustrations supplement the text. Sections on complications and prevention included in disease entries where appropriate.
Genetics and Inherited Conditions, v. 1 - 3 by
Call Number: R 616.04 G32k v. 1 - 3
Publication Date: 2010-05-10
This set alphabetically arranges 459 essays on diseases, biology, techniques, methodologies, genetic engineering, ethics, and social issues. Written for nonspecialists, it will interest health care consumers, premedical students, public library patrons, and others.
B7. Emergency Medicine
Mosby's Emergency Nursing Reference by
Call Number: R 616.02 M89f
Publication Date: 2005-02-09
Includes complete assessment information for determining care priorities, coverage of 22 common clinical conditions, and 37 procedures outlined in a clear, step-by-step format.
1) Tables, algorithms, formulas, and assessment guidelines offer convenient access to critical data.
2) Age-specific considerations provide pediatric and geriatric information.
3) Nursing Alerts highlight crucial considerations for ED personnel.
4) Additional material includes a reference guide on safety in the ED, a section on triage, and a chapter on chemical, radiation, and biologic exposure.
5) Nursing Care Priority tables within clinical chapters highlight the most common diagnoses for a particular clinical condition and present possible causes, signs and symptoms, and interventions.
6) Procedures include Advanced airway management; Airway suctioning; Capillary blood sampling; Decontamination of a patient; External jugular intravenous access; Nebulizer treatment; Pediatric IM medication administration; Sedation for procedures; and Visual acuity.
The 5 Minute Emergency Medicine Consult by
Call Number: R 616.025 P5652f
Publication Date: 1999-06-23
Coverage includes presenting signs and symptoms, medical disorders, pediatric disorders, trauma, environment, poisoning, and a clinical pharmacology formulary. Concentrating on the conditions most commonly encountered in the ER, the text enables fast retrieval of information, including basics, etiology, diagnosis, treatment, disposition, and miscellaneous concerns such as coding and references.
B8. Physical Examination
Bates' Guide to Physical Examination and History Taking, 10th ed. by
Call Number: R 616.07 B58b
Publication Date: 2008-12-11
This classic text provides the best foundation for performing physical examinations and taking a patient history.
1) The book features a full-color art program and a clear, simple two-column format, with highly visual step-by-step examination techniques on the left and abnormalities with differential diagnoses on the right.
2) Includes national guidelines, pertinent screening tools, and information about ways to help patients prevent disease and optimize their health across all settings and age groups.
3) Detailed information on pain assessment is now included in the general survey, vital signs, and pain chapter.
4) A new chapter presents an assessment of mental health status and behavior to encompass the psychosocial dimensions of care.
5) Evidence-based content has been increased, with pertinent findings, avenues for research, and references/suggested readings added across the entire book.
6) More than 50 new line drawings and photos have been added.
7) A bound-in CD-ROM and companion Website include 5 Approach to Patient videos, 15 Head-to-Toe Examination videos, 25 Assessment videos, heart and breath sounds, the Center for Disease Control's pediatric growth chart, journal articles, Nursing Professional Roles and Responsibilities, and the fully searchable text.
B9. Diagnostic Tests
Mosby's Diagnostic and Laboratory Test Reference, 6th ed. by
Call Number: R 616.075 P14m
Publication Date: 2002-11-08
This handbook features clinically relevant laboratory and diagnostic tests organized alphabetically.
1) Tests are presented in a consistent format, which allows for concise coverage without sacrificing the depth of detail necessary for a thorough understanding of diagnostic testing.
2) Each test entry includes, where relevant, alternate or abbreviated test names; type of test; normal findings; possible critical values; test explanation and related physiology; contraindications; potential complications; interfering factors; procedure and patient care (before, during, and after); and abnormal findings.
3) Lists of tests by body system and test type allow the reader to quickly locate related studies.
4) Abbreviations for tests are listed at the end of the book, and symbols and units of measurement are provided in an appendix.
5) Fifteen test entries - include bone turnover biochemical markers (osteocalcin), breast tumor analysis, diabetes mellitus auto-antibody panel (insulin antibody), genetic testing, and HIV viral load - present the latest tests and procedures.
6) An icon for patient teaching-related care indicates information that should be shared with patients and their families.
Handbook of Diagnostic Tests, 3rd ed. by
Call Number: R 616.0754 H2361h
Publication Date: 2003-02-24
Handbook of Diagnostic Tests is a two-part reference that provides coverage of nearly all major diagnostic procedures and laboratory tests.
1) Part I is an alphabetical listing of over 450 disorders with their key test results.
2) Part II groups 16 chapters of lab tests and diagnostic procedures by type.
3) Test entries in Part II include description, purpose, procedure steps, normal test results, and reference values, and disorders indicated by abnormal test results.
4) Part II also includes patient preparation, posttest care, precautions, and interfering factors.
5) Appendices include normal and abnormal serum drug levels for substance abuse screening and therapeutic monitoring and an illustrated guide to patient self-testing.
B10. Psychiatry and Clinical Psychology
Encyclopedia of Behavior Modification and Cognitive Behavior Therapy, v. 1 - 3 by
Call Number: R 616.89 H72e
Publication Date: 2005-01-25
The three-volume Encyclopedia of Behavior Modification and Cognitive Behavior Therapy provides a thorough examination of the components of behavior modification, behavior therapy, cognitive behavior therapy, and applied behavior analysis for both child and adult populations in a variety of settings.
1) Although the focus is on technical applications, entries also provide the historical context in which behavior therapists have worked, including research issues and strategies.
2) Entries on assessment, ethical concerns, theoretical differences, and the unique contributions of key figures in the movement (including B. F. Skinner, Joseph Wolpe, Aaron T. Beck, and many others) are also included.
3) Comprehensive treatment of behavior modification--history, biography, theory, and application.
4) Three thematic volumes - Volume I: Adult Clinical Applications Volume II: Child Clinical Applications Volume III: Educational Applications, and over 430 total entries.
5) Five anchor articles in each volume provide context on major issues within the field.
6) Keywords and lists of suggested readings follow each entry.
Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders - DSM-5 by
Call Number: R 616.89 D536 5th Ed.
Publication Date: 2013-05-22
This edition of Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5®) is used by clinicians and researchers to diagnose and classify mental disorders.
1) It is the product of more than 10 years of effort by hundreds of international experts in all aspects of mental health.
2) The criteria are concise and explicit, intended to facilitate an objective assessment of symptom presentations in a variety of clinical settings -- inpatient, outpatient, partial hospital, consultation-liaison, clinical, private practice, and primary care.
3) The chapter organization reflects a lifespan approach, with disorders typically diagnosed in childhood (such as neurodevelopmental disorders) at the beginning of the manual, and those more typical of older adults (such as neurocognitive disorders) placed at the end.
4) The latest findings in neuroimaging and genetics have been integrated into each disorder along with gender and cultural considerations.
5) Specific criteria have been streamlined, consolidated, or clarified to be consistent with clinical practice (including the consolidation of autism disorder, Asperger's syndrome, and pervasive developmental disorder into autism spectrum disorder; the streamlined classification of bipolar and depressive disorders; the restructuring of substance use disorders for consistency and clarity; and the enhanced specificity for major and mild neurocognitive disorders).
6) Dimensional assessments for research and validation of clinical results have been provided.
7) Both ICD-9-CM and ICD-10-CM codes are included for each disorder, and the organizational structure is consistent with the new ICD-11 in development.
8) The information contained in the manual is valuable to physicians and health professionals, including psychologists, counselors, nurses, and occupational and rehabilitation therapists, as well as social workers and forensic and legal specialists.
Medical-Surgical Nursing, 8th ed. - 2-Volume Set by
Call Number: R 617.02 L67m v. 1 - 2
Publication Date: 2010-11-16
Offers coverage of patient care in various clinical settings and focuses on key topics such as prioritization, clinical decision-making, patient safety, and NCLEX® exam preparation.
1) Provides a strong foundation in medical-surgical nursing.
2) Over 1,400 full-color illustrations demonstrate disease processes and related anatomy and physiology.
3) Approximately 55 comprehensive nursing care plans incorporate NIC, NOC, and NANDA diagnoses, defining characteristics, expected outcomes, specific nursing interventions with rationales, evaluation criteria, and collaborative problems.
4) NCLEX Examination Review Questions at the end of each chapter.
5) Collaborative Management headings and Collaborative Care tables emphasize the importance of total patient care.
6) Drug Alert boxes highlight important considerations applicable to key drugs.
7) More boxes and tables included, such as Healthy People, Drug Therapy, Nutritional Therapy, Cultural and ethnic health, gerontologic content, Emergency Management, Health History, Patient and Caregiver Teaching Guides, Ethical Dilemmas, Complementary and Alternative Therapies, and Genetics in Clinical Practice.
8) Glossary of terms and definitions in the back of the book.
B12. Obstetrics & Pediatrics
Melloni's Illustrated Dictionary of Obstetrics and Gynecology by
Call Number: R 618.03 M527
Publication Date: 2000-03-15
First illustrated dictionary of obstetrics and gynecology. It contains over 15,000 definitions, including pertinent terms from other disciplines, extensively cross-referenced.
1) 280 outstanding single-concept illustrations elucidate and support selected definitions.
2) Includes a pronunciation guide with diacritical marks and 16 pages of relevant abbreviations.
3) This dictionary is published especially for primary care and general physicians and specialists and their staff from other disciplines working with patient referrals from obstetricians and gynecologists.
4) It is also a boon to students and residents as well as to nurses and staff in obstetrics and gynecology departments and offices.
The Encyclopedia of Children's Health and Wellness by
Call Number: R 618.92 T939, v. 1 - 2
Publication Date: 2004-09-01
The Encyclopedia of Children's Health and Wellness is a two-volume set offering more than 600 entries covering all the key aspects of childhood health from infancy to age 18. Explaining diseases, conditions, general health, safety issues, learning, growth and development, medications, treatments, and much more. Appendixes provide organizations specializing in major childhood diseases, hotlines, useful books, a glossary, a guide to choosing a pediatrician, and more.
Neonatal Nursing Handbook by
Call Number: R 618.9201 K36
Publication Date: 2003-05-30
The Neonatal Nursing Handbook is designed to provide accessible information to assist practitioners in their clinical decision-making and critical thinking. This handbook is organized primarily by body systems and includes a brief definition of the neonatal problem, followed by diagnostic tests and labs, differential diagnosis where appropriate, and then an algorithm to aid in the decision making process.
Encyclopedia of Wireless Telecommunications by
Call Number: R 621.38 B75e
Publication Date: 2002-05-13
Covering 2G, 2.5G, and 3G technologies at all tiers, from handsets to carriers, the Encyclopedia of Wireless Telecommunications offers a wide range of clear, concise, easy-to-read articles that make sense of constantly changing terminology and confusing acronyms.
1) The author, an internationally recognized expert, goes beyond theory and definitions and links technical terms with markets and applications to address the nuts-and-bolts, dollars-and-cents issues surrounding wireless.
2) There is no easier, faster, or more convenient way to keep up with the fast-moving world of wireless telecommunications.
3) Service providers, software developers, systems architects, network managers, and sales and marketing personnel will find this reference useful.
Dirr's Encyclopedia of Trees and Shrubs by
Call Number: R 635.97 D599 Dir
Publication Date: 2011-10-18
Includes 3500 photographs. Over 380 genera. More than 3700 species and cultivars. Dirr's Encyclopedia of Trees and Shrubs is the most comprehensive visual reference to more than 3700 species and cultivars. From majestic evergreens to delicate vines and flowering shrubs, Dirr features thousands of plants and all the essential details for identification, planting, and care. Color photographs show each tree's habit in winter, distinctive bark patterns, fall color, and more.
E. Animal Husbandry
Black's Veterinary Dictionary, 13th ed. by
Call Number: R 636.089 B627v
Publication Date: 1979
This encyclopedic dictionary offers practical help and reference material to all veterinary surgeons and nurses, students, and journalists. Entries define and describe bacteria, viruses, carriers, and diseases; they offer causes, diagnosis, signs, and treatment (including first aid), pointing out the variations in the nature of a disease when it occurs in different animals, and taking account of international scientific research observations and findings
F. Freshwater Fish
Handbook of Tropical Aquarium Fishes by
Call Number: R 639.3 A898
Publication Date: 1989-09-01
Covers all aspects of caring for tropical freshwater fish in the home, explaining how to set up an aquarium, selecting a tank, heating and lighting, filtration, and choosing suitable fish.
G. Home and Family Management
The Oxford Encyclopedia of Food and Drink in America, v. 1 - 2 by
Call Number: R 641.3 F686 v. 1 - 2
Publication Date: 2004-12-09
A history of food and drink in America. Filled with hot-shot inventors, high-flying promoters, risk-taking growers, efficiency-conscious processors, hard-hitting advertisers, and lip-smacking consumers--all of whom have contributed to transforming lowly American food into a worldwide culinary delight.
1) In 800 intriguing articles (from over 200 contributors), the Oxford Encyclopedia of Food and Drink in America covers the significant events, inventions, and social movements in American history that have affected the way Americans view, prepare, and consume food and drink.
2) In an A-Z format, this two-volume set details the regions, people, ingredients, foods, drinks, publications, advertising, companies, historical periods, and political and economic aspects pertinent to American cuisine.
The Oxford Book of Health Foods by
Call Number: R 641.3 V367
Publication Date: 2003-08-07
The Oxford Book of Health Foods begins with an account of modern concepts of human nutrition, followed by a series of over one hundred accounts of individual health foods and dietary supplements.
1) In all cases the importance of these products in human health is explained, and, for herbal medicines, the evidence for their claimed therapeutic value is given, and toxic effects are described.
2) Full-color illustrations accompany these accounts.
3) This book will be of interest not just to health professionals, but to all people with an interest in healthy foods and healthy eating.
4) The text is supplemented by a glossary, explaining the more technical terms, and a bibliography listing sources for further reading.
The Oxford Companion to Food by
Call Number: R 641.3003 F686
Publication Date: 1999-12-02
Food historian and author Alan Davidson has personally written an amazing 80 per cent of this unique work with additional articles by over 50 specialist authors from as far afield as the Philippines, Norway, and Australia.
1) 2650 A-Z entries and over 40 feature articles highlighting staple foods of the world.
2) Exquisite delicately drawn illustrations and extensive bibliography.
3) Cuisines past and present, ranging from classical Greek and Roman, Inca, and Moghul cuisine to Parsi food and Jewish cookery, Cambodia, and Celtic feasting.
4) Culinary terms, cooking techniques, and food science.
5) Books and food writers across 2000 years, including major surveys of English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, and American cookery books.
6) The place of food in culture and religion, through fasting and feasting, dietary laws and mythology, fast food, and soul food.
H. Management and Public Relations
GMAT Official Guide Quantitative Review 2018 by
Call Number: R 650.07 G111
Publication Date: 2017-06-19
The GMAT Official Guide Quantitative Review provides targeted preparation for the mathematical portion of the GMAT exam.
1) Designed by the Graduate Management Admission Council, this guide contains 300 real GMAT questions from past exams including 45 never-before-seen questions.
2) An overview of the exam to help you get familiar with the content and format.
3) Review essential algebra, geometry, arithmetic, and word problems.
4) Detailed answer explanations.
5) Questions organized in order of difficulty from easiest to hardest.
6) Access to the same questions online at gmat.wiley.com, where you can build your own practice sets.
The Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review 2018 by
Call Number: R 650.07 G111
Publication Date: 2017-06-19
The GMAT Official Guide 2018 Verbal Review provides additional practical preparation focused on the verbal portion of the exam.
1) Written by the Graduate Management Admission Council, this guide contains 300 real GMAT questions from past exams, including 45 never-before-seen questions.
2) Comprehensive grammar review and detailed answer explanations.
3) Questions organized in order of difficulty from easiest to hardest to focus your study.
4) Access to the same questions online at gmat.wiley.com, where you can build your own practice sets.
GMAT Official Guide 2018 by
Call Number: R 650.07 G111
Publication Date: 2017-06-19
The GMAT Official Guide 2018 is the definitive guide from the Graduate Management Admission Council, the makers of the GMAT exam.
1) It contains over 900 real GMAT questions from past exams, including 130 never-before-seen questions.
2) Detailed answer explanations.
3) Actual essay topics, sample responses, and scoring information.
4) Comprehensive grammar and math review.
5) Questions organized in order of difficulty from easiest to hardest to focus your study.
6) Access to the same questions - plus additional integrated reasoning questions - online at gmat.wiley.com, where you can build your own practice sets.
Business: The Ultimate Resource, 2nd ed. by
Call Number: R 658 B976 2006
Publication Date: 2006-10-31
The "Business Bible" captured the imaginations and fueled the ambitions of readers from the boardroom to the mailroom. This reference guide offers a portable M.B.A. between two covers.
I. Chemical Engineering
The Facts on File Dictionary of Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering by
Call Number: R 660 S8198f c.2
Publication Date: 1994-05-01
From ABO blood group to zygotic-effect genes, this reference provides 2000 concise definitions in the fields of biotechnology and genetic engineering. Designed to provide a basic vocabulary, it should allow those with elementary knowledge to keep abreast of developments in the fields.
Creative Type by
Call Number: R 686.22 J79 Cre
Publication Date: 2005-09-01
A dynamic visual record of typeface evolution, focusing on the last twenty years.
1) The digital era has entirely transformed the world of typography.
2) This elegant and easy-to-use book provides a comprehensively illustrated record of developments in the field, clearly setting them in their historical context and forming an essential reference for graphic designers everywhere.
3) Creative Type begins with three essays that address issues such as the impact of the digital era on typography and the ways in which contemporary designers are harnessing the typefaces of the past to satisfy the needs of the present.
4) The book goes on to illustrate thirty-four modern classic typefaces produced between 1985 and 2004, accompanied by comments from each font's designer.
5) A section devoted to the great historic typefaces, from Garamond, created in 1543, to Akzidenz Grotesk, designed by Gunter Gerhard Lange in 1969, completes the volume.